** Due to the current COVID-19 situation our community is facing, including the need for social distancing, we are encouraging all of our patients to use our telehealth (video or phone based consultations) service. **
Through research led by Dr Christian Barton and Zuzana Machotka at La Trobe University, methods to deliver GLA:D online have been developed, with early research indicating great outcomes. Please get in touch with us at the clinic, especially if you were considering surgery prior to the COVID-19 pandemic. There is a good chance that by completing GLA:D via telehealth (online video) you will no longer feel you need surgery when the pandemic is over.
Led by our clinical director and GLA:D Australia program lead Dr Christian Barton, and GLA:D tutors David Thwaites and Zuzana Machotka, we are excited to bring you an effective solution to manage your hip or knee osteoarthritis pain, without injections or surgery. GLA:D Australia is an initiative taken from Denmark to ensure people with hip and knee osteoarthritis receive the education and exercise help they need to improve their quality of life. You will be GLAD you came 🙂
GLA:D® is an education and exercise program developed by researchers in Denmark for people with hip or knee osteoarthritis symptoms.
- Research from the GLA:D® program in Australia shows an average pain reduction of 36%, reduced analgesic consumption, reduction in perceived need for surgery, and clinically meaningful improvement in joint confidence.
- Education and exercises provided can be applied to everyday activities, ensuring participants develop skills to self-manage their osteoarthritis. By strengthening and improving confidence with exercise, participants develop better capacity to become or stay active, prevent symptom progression and reduce pain.
- Read more in the GLA:D® program annual report here.
Who Can Participate in GLA:D?
- GLA:D Australia is a program for all individuals who experience any hip and/or knee osteoarthritis symptoms, regardless of severity.
- You may participate in the GLA:D Australia program if you have a hip or knee joint problem that resulted in visiting a health care provider.
Who May Not Be Able to Participate in GLA:D:
- If you have other reasons for your hip and/or knee problem (for example, tumor, inflammatory joint disease, result of hip fracture, soft tissue or connective tissue problems
- If you have other symptoms that are more pronounced than the osteoarthritis problems (for example chronic generalized pain or fibromyalgia)
- If you are unable to understand and communicate in English
What Does The GLA:D Program Involve?
- A first appointment explaining the program and collecting data on your current functional ability
- Two education sessions which teach you about OA, how the GLA:D Australia exercises improve joint stability, and how to retain this improved joint stability outside of the program
- Group neuromuscular training sessions twice a week for six weeks to improve muscle control of the joint which leads to reduction in symptoms and improved quality of life.