We are excited to bring you an effective solution to manage your hip or knee osteoarthritis pain, without injections or surgery. GLA:D Australia is an initiative taken from Denmark to ensure people with hip and knee osteoarthritis receive the education and exercise help they need to improve their quality of life. You will be GLAD you came 🙂
GLA:D® is an education and exercise program developed by researchers in Denmark for people with hip or knee osteoarthritis symptoms.
- Research from the GLA:D® program in Denmark shows symptom progression reduces by 32%.
- Other outcomes include a less pain, reduced use of joint related pain killers, and less people on sick leave. GLA:D® participants also reported high levels of satisfaction with the program and increased levels of physical activity 12 months after starting the program.
- This program is unique in that the education and exercises provided can be applied to everyday activities. By strengthening and correcting daily movement patterns, participants will train their bodies to move properly, prevent symptom progression and reduce pain.
Who Can Participate in GLA:D?
- GLA:D Australia is a program for all individuals who experience any hip and/or knee osteoarthritis symptoms, regardless of severity.
- You may participate in the GLA:D Australia program if you have a hip or knee joint problem that resulted in visiting a health care provider.
Who May Not Be Able to Participate in GLA:D:
- If you have other reasons for your hip and/or knee problem (for example, tumor, inflammatory joint disease, result of hip fracture, soft tissue or connective tissue problems
- If you have other symptoms that are more pronounced than the osteoarthritis problems (for example chronic generalized pain or fibromyalgia)
- If you are unable to understand and communicate in English
What Does The GLA:D Program Involve?
- A first appointment explaining the program and collecting data on your current functional ability
- Two education sessions which teach you about OA, how the GLA:D Australia exercises improve joint stability, and how to retain this improved joint stability outside of the program
- Group neuromuscular training sessions twice a week for six weeks to improve muscle control of the joint which leads to reduction in symptoms and improved quality of life.
Find more details about the program on the GLA:D Australia website